Alexander Technique ~ harpyness

Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Alexander Technique

My last post got me thinking about posture and harp playing and teaching.

I was lucky enough to have regular Alexander Technique lessons for 2 years when I was a teenager, so I have grown up with the need for correct posture being ingrained in me.

I try to make sure that good posture is a fundamental part of my teaching and my students probably get fed up with me going on about it all the time!

It's pretty common place now for Alexander technique to be offered as part of a harp course and there are lots of links on the web, and also lots of harpists who have trained in Alexander Technique.  I recently found this brilliant short article by Coralie Cousins who takes a regular class at the Paris Conservatoire for Isabelle Perrin.  Beautifully illustrated with lovely drawings, it's certainly a good reminder of why correct posture when playing the harp is so important.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    Thanks for this post! I also play a somewhat unusual instrument-the vibraphone, or vibes. Because of poor posture while playing it, i eventually suffered with extreme neck pain. The Alexander Technique saved my bum! (I don't know if that's the correct use of the term. I'm in New York City, and we say ass.) I've been a Certified Alexander Technique teacher for ten years.
    The Alexander Technique should definitely be part of every music program. In fact, it should be a part of any school or program!

    Mark Josefsberg

    ReplyDelete