David Watkins on a steam train ~ harpyness

Wednesday, 11 March 2015

David Watkins on a steam train

Oh my goodness!! A lovely article in The Journal & video about David Watkin's father, Donald Watkins who was a locomotive pioneer and amongst other things, designed the dead man’s handle safety device for train drivers.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/prof-david-watkins-pays-harp-7621136







It was seeing David Watkins in concert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank when I was 6 that made me decide that I wanted to play the harp. The next day I drew a little picture of him playing the harp at the concert and my mum sent it to him. He was so kind and took the trouble of sending me a signed photo and kept up a little written correspondence with me for a while always making the effort to reply to the fan letters I sent him. Lovely man, a true gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment